|CAREER AS A COMPANY SECRETARY
|The Institute of Company Secretaries of India (ICSI)
|The Company Secretary is:
- An in-house legal expert; a compliance officer of the Company.
- An expert in corporate laws, securities laws & capital market and corporate governance
- Chief adviser to the board of directors on best practices in corporate governance
- Responsible for all regulatory compliance of company
- Corporate planner and strategic manager
|Role of a Company Secretary
|A Company Secretary being multidisciplinary professional renders services in the following areas:
|Corporate Governance and Secretarial Services
- Corporate Governance Services
- Corporate Secretarial Services
- Secretarial/ Compliance Audit and Certification Services
|Corporate Laws Advisory and Representation Services
- Corporate Laws Advisory Services
- Representation Services
- Arbitration & Conciliation Services
|Financial Market Services
- Public Issue, listing and Securities Management
- Takeover Code, Insider trading, Mergers & Amalgamation
- Securities Compliance and Certification Services
- Finance & Accounting Services
- Taxation Services
- International Trade & WTO Services
- General/ Strategic Management
- Corporate Communication and Public Relations
- Human Resources Management
- Information Technology
|A qualified Company Secretary has openings in Employment and as Practicing Independent Professional
Company Secretary in Employment
- Companies with a paid-up share capital of Rs.5 crore or more are compulsorily required to appoint a whole-time Company Secretary under section 383A of Companies Act,1956.
- All companies seeking listing on Stock Exchange are required to appoint a whole-time Company Secretary
- Membership of the Institute is recognized for appointment to superior posts and services under Central Government
- Membership of the Institute is a recognized qualification for recruitment from Grade I to Grade IV in the Accounts Branch of the Indian Company Law Service.
- Almost every kind of organization whose affairs are conducted by boards, councils or other association, federation, authority, commission or like, finds it useful to appoint a person who holds the qualification of Company Secretaries in key administrative position.
|SELF EMPLOYMENT (PRACTICE)
|After obtaining a ‘Certificate of Practice’ from the Institute, Members of the Institute can go for Independent Practice.
- Every company having a paid-up share capital of Rs. 10 Lakh or more but less than Rs. 5 Crore, is required to engage the services of a Secretary in Whole-time practice to obtain a compliance certificate.
- Pursuant to Clause 49 of the Listing Agreement, Practicing Company Secretaries have been authorized to issue Certificate regarding compliance of conditions of Corporate Governance as stipulated in the Clause.
- Practicing Company Secretaries have also been recognized to appear before various Tribunals such as Company Law Board, Securities Appellate Tribunal, Competition Commission, Telecom Dispute Settlement and Appellate Tribunal, Consumer Forums, Tax Tribunals etc.,
- Recently the Reserve Bank of India has recognized the Practicing Company Secretaries to undertake Diligence Report for Banks
|Company Secretary as an independent professional
A Company Secretary in practice is recognized to issue certificates and attest documents inter alia under:
- Companies Act, 1956
- SEBI Act, SCRA and regulations made thereunder the Depositories Act, 1996
- Exim Policy etc.
|Company Secretaries in Practice also render services in the following areas:
- Legal, Secretarial and Corporate Governance
- Corporate Restructuring
- Foreign Collaborations and Joint Ventures
- Arbitration and Conciliation
- Financial Management
- Project Planning
- Capital Market and Investor Relations
- Due Diligence
- Corporate Advisory Services
- 10+2 pass or equivalent / Graduate can join
- No Entry Barrier – an opportunity for every student
- Cost Effective
- Distance Learning – anywhere in the world
- 24×7 study through e-learning
- Flexibility in the schedules – Registration valid for 3 to 5 years.
- Excellent career opportunities for CS professional
- The position of Power and Prestige
- Offers Self Employment and Job Opportunities
- Direct Access to Top Management / Board Room
- Good remuneration and growth opportunities
- Good career option for girls also.
- Opportunities across various sectors at all locations.
- Opportunities Abroad – MOU with ICSA, London
- Opportunity to pursue B.Com with Major in Corporate Affairs and Administration and M.Com in Business Policy and Corporate Governance from IGNOU.
About the Author:-
Mr.Sukesh Nair did his graduation from Calicut Universiy, Kerala. He has completed C.S. (Inter) and now pursuing C.S (Final) from, Institute of Company Secretaries of India. He is a faculty member at Toppers Classes, Korba, Chhattisgarh,a leading institute in Korba for CA,CS & CMA from past 4 years. He has a rich teaching experience in the field of Direct Tax, Indirect Tax, Company Law, Securities and Compliance, Industrial and Labor law.
The author can be contacted at